Wednesday, March 13, 2013

10 Questions about Defender

I decided to take part in a little blog hop! I don't usually do stuff like this, but I decided to give a go since this one interested me. Besides, it's a great to tell you more about my book in a concise manner!

First, I'd like to thank Caitlin Hensley and Zara Hoffman the awesome bloggers that tagged me. You guys rock!

But now for the questions! *clears throat*

1: What is the working title of your book?

It's called Defender, the first book of the Chaos Chronicles. I don't think it'll be the final name, but we'll see. I'm rather terrible at names.
 
2: Where did the idea come from for the book?
The original idea actually started out as a silly plagiarized and stolen knock-off of the Mortal Instruments series. That was about four years ago. After that, it was an on-again-off-again process of dusting it off and changing things, adding in cool things I found in other books I read and then changing those things up until finally one day I completely revamped the whole plot. So it's an amalgamation of several stolen ideas. But let's face it: what book isn't?

3: What genre does your book come under?
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm actually going to say a cross between Urban Fantasy and Speculative Fiction. It's present day with fantasy and adventures leanings and a touch of romance, so I honestly can't tell you a definite answer.

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Oh wow that's a toughie. I can't imagine them as already-existing actors. I don't know any actors that look like my characters! But um...well I suppose Finley could be played by Anna Kendrick or Lily Collins, but with red hair. Annie might be Brittnany Snow or AnnaSophia Robb. Gwen could be Ksenia Solo or Michelle Trachtenberg. . .and I got nothing for Tallon. Maybe Alex Pettyfer. . . Zane could be Andrew Garfield or Skylar Astin, or someone equally nerd-tastic and funny. This is a hard question. I had to really look for some actors.

5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Finley Lancastor, ex-citizen of New York City, discovers a new layer of the world she never knew existed and now must learn to survive in it, even as it crumbles around her.

6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?
I choose none of the above. It's still in progress. (I'm getting there!)

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Well, since it's still in progress, I can't say. I'm hoping to have it finished by May, so if it is, the first draft will have taken me seven months. But that's because I took a break from it at one point. For like a month and a half. (If it sounds like that was bad idea, it totally was.)

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Hmm, maybe the Mortal Instruments series? Maybe Wicked Lovely, too. That's all I can think of. . .

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Myself. (Is that allowed?) The Mortal Instruments series. Veronica Roth. Anne Osterlund. The Vampire Academy series (of all things). There's a ton more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Though I have a ton of friends and family that continue to inspire and urge me onwards, so that's always a plus!

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Well, people tired of love triangles and an annoying weak female character will be relieved to find that it's not that kind of book. It's a book about a girl finding her place in the world she just discovered. Of course, finding her place also means finding the right people to punch. If you're looking for a strong female character, that's what I'm going for. It's also a book for anyone interested in fantasy elements used in modern-day settings, as well as magic. 

Wow, this turned out to be a lot of fun! I suggest you guys try it out too! I'm going to tag five other bloggers, but if you want to do this, feel free! Just tag me in your post when you do! Be sure to check out these awesome bloggers!

Arlette Geuverink
Leah K. Oxendine
Heather Manning 
Victoria G. Tucker 
Aidyl Ewoh